The Sorghum Forum is a voluntary Association of Members, established after the disbandment of the Sorghum Board in 1997. The objectives of the Forum are as follows:
- To act in the interests of the Sorghum Industry and those of the community and to deal with such matters as may affect the common interests of the Members.
- To act as a mouthpiece for the Sorghum Industry.
- To consider and to motivate submissions to the Minister of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development in respect of statutory measures.
- To recommend to the Sorghum Trust that funds be made available to be employed in the interest of the Sorghum Industry in terms of the objectives of the Marketing of Agricultural Products Act, 1996 (No. 47 of 1996) as amended.
- To recommend to the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development required amendments to the quality standards and regulations pertaining to sorghum.
- To consider and to motivate research projects to be conducted in the interest of the Sorghum Industry.
- To continuously keep all the Members informed regarding the progress and results of such projects and the operations of the Sorghum Trust.
- To identify new information to be collected and to apply for statutory measures in this regard.
- To keep the Members informed regarding feedback on submissions to the Minister and other institutional developments.
- To advise the Sorghum Trust on transformation initiatives and projects to be funded in the Sorghum Industry.